I am all about festivals that offer a unique mix involving food.
KAABOO is everything a typical music festival is NOT.
KAABOO is a three-day “mix-perience” vision that gives a fully immersive live music experience without the rough qualities of a traditional outdoor event.
It combines a diverse mix of music,hilarious comedians, high quality culinary offerings, the very best craft libations, art installations, and of course dancing, all in ONE place. Located at the historic Del Mar Racetrack + Fairgrounds by the coast.
So, let’s get foodie focused!
What I loved about this festival, is it’s not your typical festival fare of nachos and hot dogs. PALATE is an upscale culinary environment within the KAABOO “mix- perience”, where you can sample local and regional delicacies from a variety of hand selected palate- pleasing artisans.
Pair any mouthwatering delectable with libations from exclusive wineries, craft distilleries, and local craft breweries for a true taste of San Diego.
Not only can you discover new flavors, you can also learn tips and tricks from a variety of culinary rock stars!
Celebrity chefs will be giving mouth-watering demonstrations along with a Rockin’ Chef Competition on September 17th. Six chefs will go head-to-head in two rounds of the contest in front of a panel of expert judges and KAABOO guests in a “winner-takes-all” challenge. If they have what it takes, they will earn the top spot and will be crowned KAABOO’s reigning “Rockin’ Chef.”
Below is a full list of participating PALATE Restaurants, Featured Celebrity Chefs and Pop-up Shops.
Featured Celebrity Chefs:
- Richard Blais – Perhaps most recognizable as the winner of Bravo’s Top Chef All-Stars, Richard Blais is a successful chef, restaurateur, cookbook author and television personality.
- Brian Malarkey – In just four years, Chef Brian Malarkey has created seven wildly successful restaurants, including Searsucker and Herringbone, with more expansion plans in the works for the coming year.
- Josiah Citrin – A veteran of Los Angeles’ gourmet dining industry, Josiah Citrin is Chef/Owner of highly-acclaimed Mélisse Restaurant in Santa Monica, CA, and co-owner of Lemon Moon Café in nearby West Los Angeles. Citrin has been featured on various television food shows and his restaurant and recipes have been written up in numerous national food publications.
- Marcel Vigneron – Runner up of Top Chef Season 2, Vigneron has appeared on several reality television cooking competitions including Top Chef: All Stars, Food Network’s Iron Chef America and Guys Grocery Games.
- Timothy Hollingsworth – Chef and restaurateur, Hollingsworth is the chef and owner of both Otium in Los Angeles and Barrel & Ashes in Studio City, CA. He has won multiple awards throughout his career from the James Beard Foundation’s Rising Chef of the Year Award in 2010, to the most prominent Bocuse d’Or championship in 2009.
- Ray Garcia – Chef Ray Garcia is a native Angeleno, who draws his culinary inspiration from the city’s rich culture, the wealth of Southern California produce, and classic training.
- Michael Fiorelli – Chef Michael Fiorelli is the chef owner at Love and Salt in Manhattan Beach, CA. An avid reader, his pursuit of all things literary led him to cookbooks, which captured his imagination and fostered a passion for food.
- Steve Samson – Chef Steve Samson is the chef owner of Sotto restaurant in Los Angeles, CA. Opened in 2011, Sotto achieved immediate acclaim, being named one of Esquire Magazine’s “Best New Restaurants in America” and Los Angeles Magazines #1 “Best New Restaurant”.
Participating Palate Restaurants:
- Alforon (Flat Breads, San Diego, CA and one of my FAVS)
- Angel’s Salumi & Truffles (Charcuterie, Carlsbad, CA)
- BCN (Gourmet Sandwiches, Los Angeles, CA)
- Beerfish (Seafood, North Park, CA)
- Bobboi Natural Gelato (Gelato, La Jolla, CA)
- Bottega Americano (Italian American Fusion, San Diego)
- Bugsy BBQ (Barbecue, San Diego, CA)
- Buona Forchetta (Italian, San Diego, CA)
- Ca’Momi (Italian Pizza, Napa, CA)
- Chef Javier Plascencia (Baja Fresh, San Diego, CA)
- Cream (Ice Cream, San Diego, CA)
- JINYA Ramen Bar (Japanese, Burbank, CA)
- JSix (American, San Diego, CA)
- The Lanai (Island Fusion, Encintas, CA)
- Poseidon on the Beach (Seafood, Del Mar, CA)
- Puesto (Mexico, San Diego, CA)
- Roti Rolls (Asian Fusion, Charleston, SC)
- Saiko Sushi (Japanese, San Diego, CA)
- Searsucker Del Mar (New American, Del Mar, CA)
- Cardiff Seaside Market (California Fresh, Cardiff, CA)
- So Rich Chocolate (Hand-made Dessert, Vista, CA)
- The Milk Bar (Craft Milkshakes, San Diego, CA)
- Tostadas North Park (Mexican, San Diego, CA)
- City Tacos (Mexican, San Diego, CA)
Featured Pop-Up Shops:
- Dylan’s Candy Bar: The largest confectionary emporium and lifestyle brand has merged the worlds
of art, fashion and pop culture with candy, to innovate the way we see and experience candy today!
- Cali Burger: Takes the sunny Southern California style burger around the globe, conquering taste buds with every Cali Double and Seasoned Fries, and now they are coming back with a new store
in Pasadena, CA opening in June!
- Momenti Spirited Ice Creams: Provides happiness while giving back to the greater good. Enjoy these
signature handcrafted craft-liqueur-infused ice creams!
- Swell Coffee: The flavorful work of the craftsmen and women who attend to every step in
the process, from the farm to the roaster and to the cup, features Trade coffees from around the world.
Ticket purchase and full lineup/ schedule can be found at KAABOO.